Conveners: Oxford Climate Research Network
Speakers: Pam Berry, Michelle Cain, Aavika Dhanda, Marie Drouard, Alice Evatt, Trisha Gopalakrishna, Vinita Govindarajan, Kate Guy, Jim Hall, Debbie Hopkins, Navya Jannu, Helen Johnson, Isabel Key, Nathan Lawson Yadvinder Malhi, Ashley Marshall, Nayanika Mathur, Caitlin McElroy, James Painter, Matthew Patterson, Elena Pierard, Amanda Power, Peter Read, Stuart Robinson, Lisa Schipper, Steve Smith, Philip Stier and Richard Washington
The world’s changing climate and the threats and opportunities it affords are one of the biggest issues facing society today. At Oxford more than 170 researchers are rising to the challenge and seek to understand what is causing climate change, what are the impacts, and what we can do about it.
We are excited to announce our OCRN Virtual Showcase! We’re bringing together researchers from across subjects, departments, and divisions to informally present their work and enthusiastically chat about it with you in a virtual fair.
This event is for you, regardless of whether you're a student, existing researcher, or public, whether you're just starting to get interested in learning about climate, exploring potential career paths, or seeking research collaborators, and everything in between!
The event will:
- Showcase the broad and rich variety of world leading climate research going on in Oxford University.
- Stimulate diverse discussions of research and facilitate potential collaboration opportunities.
- Inspire students to get involved with amazing climate-related work, regardless of ones' subject or academic background
- Grow connections between researchers and students, across discipline and silo boundaries.
List of groups attending showcase - being live updated:
African climate - Richard Washington
Agricultural emissions - Michelle Cain
Anthropology - Nayanika Mathur
Atmospheric Circulation - Matthew Patterson & Marie Drouard
Business transitions - Elena Pierard
Circular economies - Caitlin McElroy
Climate of solar system planets - Peter Read
Cloud and aerosol physics - Philip Stier
Ecosystems and tropical forests - Yadvinder Malhi
Greenhouse gas removals - Steve Smith
History - Amanda Power
Journalism & Media - James Painter
Law - Navya Jannu
Nature-based solutions - Isabel Key
India & urban development - Vinita Govindarajan, Trisha Gopalakrishna and Aavika Dhanda
Past climate - Stuart Robinson
Philosophy - Alice Evatt
Photovoltaics - Ashley Marshall
Physical oceanography - Helen Johnson
Policy & Security - Kate Guy
Resilience & Adaptation - Lisa Schipper
Transport - Debbie Hopkins
UK Climate Risk & Policy - Pam Berry
Water systems & risk - Jim Hall
Oxford Climate Society - Nathan Lawson
- The event will open with two short plenary talks by prominent researchers on (i) specific, recent, exciting Oxford contributions, and (ii) Oxford’s general role in moving the state of the art forward.
- Following these two opening talks, we'll move to the virtual "social lounge" for the main event. This virtual area will have a 20-30 tables (one for each research group) that event participants can freely move between to network with and chat to the researchers there.
The Oxford Climate Research Network is a cross-divisional research community, harnessing Oxford’s diverse strengths to address the challenge of managing climate change in a complex and uncertain world. The network aims to develop a research agenda to address key challenges of a changing climate, deepen knowledge to inform policy and planning, and develop instruments to improve practice in partnership with government, research and business communities.