2019 Federalism, Nationalism and Development: India and the Punjab Economy, Routledge, London/New York (2008 hb, 2009 and a Special Indian reprint, 2019 second edition).
2017 Hindu Bias in Indian Constitution, Critical Quest (New Delhi).
2015 Punjabi Identity in a Global Context, Oxford University Press (OUP), 2nd edition (co-edited with S Thandi). First edition 1999.
2010 Economy, Culture and Human Rights: Turbulence in Punjab, India and Beyond, Three Essays Collective, Delhi. A 32 minute TV interview on the book has been watched world wide: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZKdYO0Sz_Q
1999 Equal Opportunities in the Curriculum, Oxford Centre for Staff and Learning Development, Oxford Brookes University, (co-edited with Martyn Pearl, equal contribution of the editors).
1996 Globalisation and the Region: Explorations in Punjabi Identity (co-edited with S Thandi, equal contribution of the editors), Association of Punjab Studies (UK), Coventry (a revised and updated version was brought out as Punjabi Identity in a Global Context, OUP in 1999 and 2015).
1982 Women and Society: Problems and Prospects, Chandigarh (co-edited with K. Shirali).
2019 Punjab in India Federalism: Development, Degradation and Resistance (coedited with Meena Dhanda), OUP.
2020/21 Routledge Handbook of Punjab Studies (coedited with Meena Dhanda)
Refereed Journal Articles
2018 (co-author R S Mann) ‘Punjab’s Post-Assembly Elections: Analysis of the Gurdaspur by-election and Municipal Elections', Journal of Punjab and Sikh Studies, 25 (1), 2018 pp 157-164.
2017 (co-author V Bumacov and A Ashta) ‘Credit scoring. A historic recurrence in microfinance’, Strategic Change: Briefings in Entrepreneurial Finance. 26(6), November 2017. pp 543-554 DOI: 10.1002/jsc.2165
2017 (co-author V Bumacov and A Ashta) ‘Poverty scoring and financial inclusion of the poor’, Strategic Change: Briefings in Entrepreneurial Finance. 26(6), November 2017. Pp 555-562. DOI: 10.1002/jsc.2166
2017 ‘Aam Aadmi Party as Third Player in Punjab Politics’, Economic and Political Weekly, Vol.52, Issue No. 3, 21 Jan 2017, Special Web Exclusive.
2016 (co-author Nadia Singh) 'The Lesser Child: A study of the inter linkages between child sex ratios and discrimination against the girl child in household care and attention in Punjab', Journal of Punjab Studies, Vol 22, No.2, Dec 2016, pp 287-317
2016 ‘The origins, influence, suppression and resilience of the Maoist/Naxalite movement in India: 1967- present’, Socialist History No. 50, Dec 2016, pp 85-104.
2016 (co-authors S. Asongu and S. Le Roux) ‘Fighting Software Piracy: Some Global Conditional Policy Instruments’, Journal of Business Ethics, Accepted 26 July 2016, published online 12 August 2016 DOI 10.1007/s10551-016-3291-7.
2015 'Institutional Communalism in India', EPW, Vol. L, No. 28, July 11, pp. 48-56.
2014 'The Competing Theories of Development and Underdevelopment: A Critical Evaluation from an Eco-Socialist Perspective', LIMES Plus, Vol. XI, No. 3, pp. 117-146. September-December 2014.
2014 Towards an Understanding of the Spiritual Economy of the Golden Temple in India’, English Studies in Humanities, Linguistics and Pedagogy (a bilingual journal in Russian and English), Issue No. 7, December 2014 , pp. 50-64, MAKS Press, Lomonosov Moscow State University, Faculty of Foreign Languages and Area Studies, Department of English for Humanities.
2014 (co-authors V. Bumacov and A. Ashta, equal contribution of all authors) ‘The Use of Credit Scoring in Microfinance Institutions and Their Reach’, Strategic Change: Briefings in Entrepreneurial Finance, 23 (7), pp.401-413.
2014 (co-author Lok Nath Bhusal) ‘Austerity, Welfare State and Eco-Socialism: With Special Reference to the United Kingdom’, EPW, Vol. XLIX, No. 39, September 27, pp. 111-118 (contribution: Singh 75% and Bhusal 25%).
2014 ‘Class, nation and religion: Changing nature of Akali Politics in Punjab, India’, Commonwealth and Comparative Politics, 52:1, pp 55-77, February.
2014 ‘Dialectics of Human Rights’, Exploring Development, April 22.
2013 (co-author N Purewal, equal contribution) ‘The resurgence of Bhindranwale’s image in contemporary Punjab’, Contemporary South Asia, Vol. 21, No. 2, May 2013, pp 133-47.
2012 ‘The Role of Externally-Governed Policies in Shaping Punjab’s Agrarian–Oriented Development Pattern’, Indian Journal of Agricultural Development and Policy, Vol. 22, No.2, July-Dec, pp 1-18.
2012 ‘Globalisation and Punjabi Identity: Resistance, Relocation and Reinvention’, Journal of Punjab Studies, Vol. 19, No. 2., December 2012, pp. 153-72.
2011 (co-author Lok Nath Bhusal, equal contribution), ‘Exploring the role of external factors in the development process: a study of the role of India and China in Nepal's development', in Millennial Asia: An International Journal of Asian Studies, Vol. 2, Number 1, July-December 2011, pp. 163-186.
2009 ‘Left and the Third Front’ EPW, Vol XLIV, No.12, March 21, pp 8-11.
2008 ‘Contemporary Global Capitalism: Multi-pronged crises’, EPW, October 11, 2008, pp 36-40.
2008 ‘Political Economy of the Third Front in India’, Contemporary South Asia, Vol 16, No. 4 (Dec 2008), pp 465-69.
2007 (co-author K Weisspfenning), ‘Pollution Control: An economic analysis of comparative policy instruments', International Journal of Green Economics, Vol. 1 No. 3/4, pp. 419-445.
2007 ‘Political Economy of the Cycles of Violence and Non-Violence in the Sikh Struggle for Identity and Political Power: Implications for Indian federalism’, Third World Quarterly, 28(3) pp 555-570.
2005 ‘Hindu bias in India’s ‘secular’ constitution: probing flaws in the instruments of governance’, Third World Quarterly, Vol.26, No.6, pp 909-926.
2003 ‘Heritage Appropriation: The Patiala Festival’, Economic and Political Weekly, Vol XXXVIII, No 33, August 16, pp 3449-3450.
2003 ‘Political economy of appropriation of heritage’, Global Built Environment Review, Vol. 3, No. 1, pp. 5-7, ISSN: 1474-6832.
2002 ‘Political economy of nationalism: minority left and minority nationalisms vs mainstream left and majority nationalism in India’, International Journal of Punjab Studies, Vol. 9, No. 2, pp. 287-298, July-December, ISSN: 0971-5223.
2001 (co-author M. Dhanda), ‘Left perspectives in South Asia', British Association for South Asian Studies Bulletin, Vol. 4, No. 1, pp. 2-12, Winter, ISSN: 1461-8907.
2001 ‘Punjab Terrorism: Truth Still Uncovered’, Economic and Political Weekly, pp. 3829-3831, October, ISSN: 0012-9976.
1999 Interrogating Identities Amidst Prosperity and Violence, International Journal of Punjab Studies (IJPS), Vol 6, No 2, pp. 253-266, July-December.
1999 ‘Capital, State and Nation in India: Reflections with Reference to Punjab’ IJPS, Vol 6, No 1, pp. 85-99, January-June.
1997 ‘Marxism, Indian State and Punjab’, IJPS, Vol 4, No 2, pp. 237-250.
1994 ‘Political Economy of the British Colonial State and the Indian Nationalist State and the Agrarian-Orientated Development Pattern in Punjab’, Indo-British Review: A Journal of History, Vol 21, No 1, pp.97-110.
1993 ‘Federal Fiscal Arrangements in India’, Austrian Journal of Development Studies, Vienna, Vol 9, No 3, pp. 261-278.
1993 ‘Punjab’s Economic Development and the Current Crisis’, Seminar, No 401, January, pp.60-65.
1992 ‘Economic Interests and Human Rights in Indo-British Relations: House of Commons Debate on Punjab’, Economic and Political Weekly, Vol 27, No 3, March 28.
1985 ‘Marxism in Punjab’, Economic and Political Weekly, March 30.
1984 ‘Akali Politics: Growing Separatist Trend’, Economic and Political Weekly, February 4.
1982 (co-author with P Kumar), ‘Assam Movement: Towards a Framework of Analysis’, North East Quarterly, Vol 1, No 1 August, Gauhati, pp.329-335.
1974 ‘Gramsci’s Concept of Hegemony’, Frontier, Annual Number Calcutta, Oct 19, pp.21-24.
2018 ‘The Indian Media’s Majoritarian Bias and 1984’ in J.S. Sidhu and A. Chamadia (ed) Embedded Journalism: Punjab, Delhi: Media Studies Group, 2018 (Second Edition)
2018 ‘Aam Aadmi Party’s electoral performance in Punjab: implications for an all India perspective’ in M. Rehman (ed) Rise of Saffron Power: Reflections on Indian Politics, Routledge, pp. 215-36.
2017 ‘Institutional Communalism in India’ in S. Mohapatra (ed) Society and Culture in India: A Reader, Social Science Press, New Delhi.
2016 ‘How Centre-State Relations Shape Punjab’s Development Pattern?’ in L. Singh and N. Singh (eds.) Economic Transformation of a Developing Economy: The Experience of Punjab, a State in India, Springer, Singapore, pp.367-390.
2016 ‘Institutional Communalism in India’ in M. Rehman (ed) The Changing Forms of Communalism in Modern India, Routledge, pp. 28-50.
2016 ‘Experiencing torture and human rights violations: reflections on self-experience’ in V.G. Julie and O. Tyagi (eds.) Human Rights in Postcolonial India. Routledge, pp. 110-130
2014 ‘Inspired and Distorted Role of Media’ in J.S. Sidhu and A. Chamadia (ed) Embedded Journalism: Punjab, Delhi: Media Studies Group, 2014, pp 47-80.
2014 (co-author Meena Dhanda), ‘Sikh Culture and Punjābiyat’ in Pashaura Singh and Louis E. Fenech (eds.) The Oxford Handbook of Sikh Studies, Oxford University Press.
2014 (co-author Lok Nath Bhusal), ‘The rise and fall of the welfare state in the UK’ in Krzysztof Frysztacki (ed) Cracovian Studies in Social Work, Jagiellonian University Press, Cracow, Poland.
2013 (co-author S Velasquez), ‘The Impact of International Remittances on Reduction of Poverty in Bangladesh and Ecuador’ in I Ness, A Julca et al. (eds.) Encyclopaedia of Global Human Migration (4 Volumes), Wiley Blackwell.
2011 ‘The Rise of Sikh Belief and Community’ in World History Encyclopedia, ABC-CLIO, Santa Barbara.
2010 ‘Interrogating Marxian, Neo-classical and Green Perspectives on the Contradictory Implications of Third World/Asian Development and Poverty’ in Sucha Singh Gill, Lakhwinder Singh and Reena Marwah (eds.) Sustainability of Asian Economic Development, Routledge, New Delhi.
2010 ‘Global Food Crisis as a Part of the Crisis of Global Capitalism’ in R S Ghuman et al (ed) Globalization and Change, Rawat Publications, Jaipur, India.
2007 ‘Political Economy of Centralisation in India: Some Critical Notes from a Decentralist Perspective’ in Nationalizing Crisis: The Political Economy of Public Policy in Contemporary India, edited by B. Nayak, Atlantic Publishers, Delhi, pp 17-45.
1998 ‘Sectarianism and Human Rights Discourse: The Politics of Human Rights in the Post-Colonial Punjab,’ in Changing Concepts of Rights and Justice in South Asia, edited by M Anderson and S Guha, Oxford University Press.
1994 ‘Punjab’s Economic Development and the Current Crisis’ in Punjab: Past, Present and Future, edited by Gopal Singh, Ajanta Publications, Delhi.
1989 ‘What is a Sikh Problem?’ in The National Question in Punjab (in Punjabi), edited by M S Mali, Sirhind, Punjab.
1989 ‘Forming a Women’s Group in Chandigarh: Experiences of a Male Activist’, in Women in Indian Society: A Reader, edited by R. Ghadially, Sage Publications, Delhi/London.
1987 ‘Two Facets of Revivalism’, in Punjab Today, (ed) by G. Singh, Intellectual Publications, Delhi.
1985 ‘ Role of Media’, in Punjab in Indian Politics, edited by Amrik Singh, Ajanta Publishers, Delhi.
1984 (co-author P. Kumar), ‘Assam Problem: Towards a Framework of Analysis’, in North-East Region: Problems and Prospects of Development, edited by B L Abbi, Centre for Research in Rural and Industrial Development, Chandigarh.
1984 ‘Imperialism, Indian Capitalism and Punjab Economy’ in Punjab Economy (in Punjabi), edited by Nirmal Azad, Punjabi University, Patiala.
1982 ‘Towards a Perspective for Women’s Movement’, in Women and Society Problems and Prospects, edited by Kishwar Shirali and Pritam Singh, Chandigarh.
2010 ‘Capitalism, Nature and Eco-Socialism’, EPW, Vol XLV, No.12, March 20, pp 29-33.
2008 On Mridula Mukherjee’s Colonializing Agriculture: The myth of Punjab Exceptionalism, Sage, Delhi (2005), in: Journal of South Asian Development, Vol 3, No 1, pp 177-83
2007 On S Irfan Habib’s To Make the Deaf Hear: Ideology and Programme of Bhagat Singh and His Comrades (New Delhi: Three Essays Collective, 2007) in: Journal of Punjab Studies, Vol 14, No 2, Fall 2007, pp 297-304, ISSN:0971-5223
Non-Refereed Articles and Book Reviews
I have published over 60 articles and several letters in newspapers and news magazines in the UK and South Asia and 25 book reviews. In the last 4 years (August 2014 - September 2018) I have written over 50 opinion/comment articles on global development issues in The Tribune, a leading English daily in India. With my specialisation in development studies, I communicate my research widely by writing newspaper/magazine articles and book reviews in journals; this contributes significantly to extending the social impact of my research.
Important Non-Refereed Articles:
2018 ‘An Expanded Perspective of Doing Philosophy: Satya Pal Gautam (1950-2018)’ (with Meena Dhanda), Economic and Political Weekly (EPW), June 9.
2017 ‘Confronting Gender Discrimination in Punjab’: Evaluating Cash Transfer Schemes’, (co-authored with Nadia Singh), EPW, Vol 52, No.8, February 25, 2017, pp 24-26.
2017 ‘Tracking Punjab: Rich but Not Developed’, EPW, Vol 52, Issue No. 3, 21 Jan 2017, pp25-26.
2016 'Establishment Bias of the Nobel Peace Prize 2016', EPW, No L I, No 44 &45, November 5, 2016.
2016 ‘IMF’s Auto-critique of Neoliberalism’, EPW, Vol L I No 32, Aug 6, 2016, pp17-18.
2014 'A Remembrance- Dr Gurbhagat Singh (1938-2014), a post-modernist scholar', Journal of Punjab Studies, Vol 21, No 2, Fall 2014, pp 411-414
Translations of my work in other languages
2019 My book Federalism, Nationalism and Development (Routledge, 2008) has been translated into Punjabi and is due for publication in 2019.
2014 My book chapter (co-author Lok Nath Bhusal), ‘The rise and fall of the welfare state in the UK’ has been translated into Polish and is included in the Polish edition of Krzysztof Frysztacki (ed.) Cracovian Studies in Social Work, Jagiellonian University Press, Cracow, Poland, 2014.
2014 My book chapter ‘Political Economy of Centralisation in India: Some Critical Notes from a Decentralist Perspective’ in B. Nayak (ed.) Nationalizing Crisis: The Political Economy of Public Policy in Contemporary India, Atlantic Publishers, Delhi, has been translated into Russian and published in Economic History Yearbook, 2013. Moscow: Political Encyclopedia, 2014, pp.654-686.
2011 My article ‘Dialectics of Human Rights’ has been translated into French and published in THE FRONT (magazine of Paris International Forum), Sept 1, 2011.
2011 Two of my articles (one on human rights and the other on federalism) presented at the conference on Current Crisis of Global Capitalism and Alternatives to Capitalism, Yonsei University, Seoul, South Korea, November 29, 2011 were translated into Korean and published by the Korea International Forum in the conference proceedings.
Public Dissemination of Research, including community/media appearances (from 2009; selected)
- Interviewed by KRPI Radio, Ferndale, US on Trump and the Paris Climate Accord, June 4’
- TV panel discussion on Hindu nationalism, Sky TV/Akal Channel, Birmingham, March 28.
- TV panel discussion on Left and Punjabi and Sikh politics, Sky TV/Akal Channel, Birmingham, Jan 25.
- TV panel discussion on Religion and State in South Asia, Rawal TV, Brampton, Canada, July 24
- Interviewed by KRPI Radio, Ferndale, US on Eco-socialism, July 22
- Interviewed by Radio Punjab, California on Federalism in India, July 14
- TV panel discussion on Operation Bluestar, Sky TV/Akal Channel, Birmingham, June 5
- Interviewed by KRPI Radio, Ferndale, US on Centre-State Relations in India, Feb 28
- Interviewed by KRPI Radio, Ferndale, US on AAP election victory in a global context, Feb 23
- Interviewed by Punjabi Tribune (a leading Punjabi language daily) about my work. This interview was published as an article titled ‘A new kind of politics needed for a sustainable development path’, February 3, and prompted several letters to the editor in dialogue with the article.
- 50-minute TV panel discussion (in Punjabi) on my work on development, federalism and identity with three other renowned social scientists, PTC TV channel, January 21
- My keynote address at Punjabi University, Patiala, India (January 20) was widely reported in the English and Punjabi print media in the region.
- Interviewed by KRPI Radio, Ferndale, US on the impact of fall in the exchange rate of Canadian dollar on the Canadian economy, December 8
- Interviewed by KRPI Radio, Ferndale, US on Asian Infrastructure and Investment Bank (AIIB), October 28
- Participated in a TV panel discussion on ‘The Indian budget 2014’, MA TV Sky 729 on July 18
- Interviewed on Radio Russia (Hindi section) on BRICS and Indo-Russian economic ties, October 10
- Interviewed by one of the Brazilian TV channels on BRICS economies at the 8th Forum of the World Association for Political Economy, Florianopolis, Brazil (May 23-26).
- Panelist in Al Jazeera TV discussion ‘On the current crisis in the global economy’, Oxford Union, May 3
- Primetime 32-minute TV interview on my book Economy, Culture and Human Rights, Sikh Channel, Sky 840, December 9
- Panelist in TV discussion ‘On the impact of climate change on shelter for homeless in developing countries’, Day and Night News TV, Chandigarh, October 19
- Panelist in TV discussion on ‘Political and economic change in Punjab since 1984 conflict’, Sikh Think Tank TV, Birmingham, June 9
- Interviewed by The Tribune (the largest circulating English daily in North West India) on ‘Poverty, Illiteracy and Population Interrelationship’, April 5
- Interviewed by The Hindustan Times (one of the largest circulating English dailies in North India) on the political economy of human rights violations in India, March 31
- Interviewed by ‘Sea News’, Sea TV network, Agra, on the practice of capital punishment in India, March 30
- Interviewed by Zee TV and PTC TV Network on Economic Interests and Human Rights, Chandigarh, March 8
- Panelist on Zee TV discussion, ‘The Declining Importance of Social Sciences in India’, Chandigarh, August 30
- Interviewed by Huixi Cable Television Station on ‘China’s Development Process’, Dayingjie Town, Hunan Province, China, July 31
- Interviewed by All India Radio on ‘Risks of Global Warming to Developing Countries’, Patiala, India, June 5
- Interviewed by Punja Sahib TV on the ‘Economic Benefits to Pakistan of Sikh Religious Tourism to Pakistan’, Pakistan, May 16
- Interviewed by Sindhi TV, ‘Centre-State Relations in Water Disputes in S Asia’, Islamabad, Pakistan, May 15
- Panelist in a radio discussion on ‘Refugees and Terrorists’ on Oxide Radio, Oxford, February 9
- Panelist in Zee TV discussion on ‘Challenges of Sustainable Development in Punjab’, Chandigarh, January 6
Selected list of newspaper articles published (August 2014 to September 2016)
- ‘Russian ban: A blessing in disguise? Imported food contributes to growth in transportation and gas emissions’, The Tribune, August 11, 2014.
- ‘The Scottish Path to Independence’, Economic and Political Weekly, Vol - XLIX No. 37, September 13, 2014 (special web exclusive).
- ‘Resolving secessionist disputes: The Scottish referendum is almost exemplary, strengthens democracy’, The Tribune, May 20, 2014.
- ‘China overtakes the US: It is now the largest economy in the world. Should we worry?’ The Tribune, November 3, 201
- ‘NY’s Punjabi Drivers Test New Territories’, The Times of India, December 22, 2014.
- ‘The two faces of Bhindranwale: an interview’, Asian Affairs, London, December 2014.
- ‘Tikaoo vikas noon samarpat siasat di lor’ in Punjabi (Politics committed to sustainable development needed), The Punjabi Tribune, February 3, 2015.
- ‘AAP victory in global context: People asserting themselves against the concentration of economic and political power’, The Tribune, February 17, 2015.
- ‘Bhagat Singh, Gandhi and the British’, The Tribune, March 25, 2015.
- ‘Parivar and Polls’, Orissa Post, April 19, 2015.
- ‘The Janata Parivar initiative: A boost to the prospects of a third alternative in Indian politics’, The Tribune, April 20, 2015.
- ‘Contesting elections in Britain: How it is a different experience from India’, The Tribune, May 5, 2015.
- ‘Bartanvi sansadi chonan laran da jaati tazarba’ (in Punjabi) (Personal experience of contesting parliamentary elections in Britain), Punjabi Tribune, May 5, 2015.
- ‘Battle of Ballot’, Orissa Post, May 11, 2015.
- ‘Majoritarian nationalism prevails: Labour pays a price for not respecting political aspirations of Scots’, The Tribune, May 11, 20
- ‘Scotland di azadi lehar noon hulara milan de asar’ (in Punjabi) (Signs of boost to the Scottish independence movement), Punjabi Tribune, May 11, 2015.
- ‘Significance of the Green Party in the UK’, The Hindu, May 16, 2015.
- ‘Operation Bluestar: Hurt Beyond Heal’, Orissa Post, June 6, 2015.
- ‘Case for special package: One-off package needed to reduce burden’, Hindustan Times, June 15, 2015.
- ‘Obama’s climate step, an eco-friendly leap’, The Tribune, August 12, 2015.
- ‘A global meltdown: it is a long-term built-in crisis of capitalism’, The Tribune, Aug 26, 2015.
- ‘Almi poonjiwaad lai cheeni manda baniaa mahan khatra’ (in Punjabi) (Chinese slow down- a big danger for global capitalism), Punjabi Tribune, August 26, 2015.
- ‘Socialist backlash, politics of substance’, The Tribune, September 15, 2015.
- ‘Akal Takht vs Dera: What after the pardon?’, The Tribune, Oct 1, 2015
- ‘Monetary policy can have wide regional implications’, Financial Times, Oct 21, 2015.
- ‘Nepal’s time for plural, democratic socialism’, The Tribune, Nov 2, 2015.
- ‘Heed the global warning’, The Tribune, Dec 8,2015.
- ‘An iconic teacher’, The Tribune, Feb 2, 2016.
- ‘Randhir Singh obituary’, Guardian, Online Feb 24, 2016.
- ‘Apni hi kabar put rahi hai hindutav vichadhara’ (Hindutva is digging its own grave), Punjabi Tribune, 26 February 2016.
- ‘Left, Hindutva and Indian nationalism’, Kafila (online magazine), March 1, 2016.
- ‘Ajoki pirhi lai vi prerna sarot han shahid bhagat singh’ (Bhagat Singh is an inspiration for the current generation too), Punjabi Tribune, March 23, 2016.
- ‘Sanders puts socialism on political map of US’, The Tribune, April 11, 2016.
- ‘Second thoughts on the market model’, The Tribune, June 2, 2016.
- ‘Saka neela tara: zakham jo aje vi hare han’ (Operation Bluestar: the wounds that never heal), Punjabi Tribune, June 6, 2016.
- ‘W(h)ither federalism’, The Tribune, August 11, 2016.
- ‘ki federal dhanche lai dhukwaan hai GST?’ (Is GST compatible with federalism?), Punjabi Tribune, August 15, 2016
(Articles published later to be added)